My husband has recently had significant heart issues, and so he’s on a low-sodium diet. Since I’m the cook in the family, that means new recipes and new ways of preparing foods I know he likes.
Here’s one I made for dinner tonight: meatloaves and mashed red potatoes
1 lb (or so) of 93% low-fat ground beef
1/4 sweet onion diced
1/4 bell pepper diced
1/2 lemon’s juice
1/2 zucchini diced
oregano, garlic powder, black pepper, dried red pepper, Mrs. Dash (pick your favorite flavor)
ketchup (1 tblsp)
olive oil spray
- Dice vegetables
- Mix in meat
- Add egg,spices, ketchup, and lemon juice
- Mix to combine
- Spray muffin tin with oil
- Distribute meat mix evenly among muffin cups
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until done
- Flip meatloaves over and brown under broiler until golden
chopped red potatoes, skins on
1/4 sweet onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
plain greek yogurt
Mrs. Dash (fav flavor), paprika, dried red pepper, black pepper, garlic powder, pinch of salt (if desired), diced onion
- Put potatoes, onions, and garlic in a pan and bring to a boil. Lower heat to simmer and cook until potatoes are soft.
- Pour most of the water off into a mug.
- Mash potato mixture, using water from cooking to moisten.
- In a bowl, mix yogurt and spices
- Add yogurt mixture to potatoes and stir.
- Serve with vegetable of choice
Pictures of Steps: