Hi, folks– I’m back with a new commentary for a classic Tom Baker episode. Tony and Jo! over at the Flashing Blade podcast inspired me to watching it for the first time in order to give them some feedback for their 8th episode. For the podcast, I condensed my thoughts considerably, but here I offer you my comments unadulterated. Lucky you. 🙂
So… here we go!
- I don’t like Tom’s face in the opening credits. He looks old, bloated, and bored.
- Good grief! I get it already. We are on a long, deserted patch of beach. For goodness sake!
- Earphones make snores clearer.
- Now that’s just mean! What’s she done to poor K-9?!
- Oh dear– telescope view does not bode well.
- Interesting transitions– not sure I like them.
- These are very interesting costumes and hair styles.
- The meeting does sound like ones that probably happened in BBC boardrooms around this time.
- Music does reinforce strange nature of planet.
- Interesting how in this season, no one hears the Tardis materialize.
- Um.. can one guy sell a whole planet?
- There’s an awful lot of exposition happening here along with extraordinarily long landscape pans.
- Cool video effects, if quite psychedelic.
- Heavy breathing- must be the bad guys.
- Interesting idea to cover how another culture dies.
- WE GET IT!!! Another ship is landing. Is this a vital plot point??
- Nice to see that the Doctor has forgotten science and is interested in relearning it.
- A particularly vicious way to die.
- I thought the Doctor said that he doesn’t do “meeting mothers.”
- Doctor does seem delighted to be a “mistake.”
- Now is where the psychic paper would have come in handy.
- Cute trick with the guard– reminiscent of Sun Maker’s trick.
- Very colorful control board– looks like the counter of a candy store.
- Red plastic guy = creepy
- Nice scarf/ mannequin distraction
- Oh no! Not death by video effects!
And that’s that. Until part two, everyone!